Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mi La Cay now serving banh mi!


The good news is that Mi La Cay is now serving a superior (to the local competition) banh mi sandwich in a nearly foot-long crusty chewy roll.

The bad news is I can’t tell you exactly how good they are because it’s been so long that I ate one that I forgot to tell to them to skip the pork pâté that seems to be the default spread for an authentic Vietnamese sandwich.

Authentic pork I can do without, especially since I’m going to shul for minyan right after I post this. Basically, I’ve pretty much avoided pork for 41 years, since my bar mitzvah.

I hadn’t planned to go to Mi La Cay, which is famous for its crispy “Maryland” fried chicken http://www.gazette.net/article/20130724/ENTERTAINMENT/130729832&template=gazette. The order from my 7-year-old was for chicken curry puffs from Ruan Thai http://www.ruanthaiwheaton.com/. But the carryout wait was at least an hour and I had a schedule to meet.

So I went around the corner to Mi La Cay. I was about to order the usual lemongrass beef and lemongrass chicken with rice when I asked whether they started serving banh mi yet. Didn’t see the sandwiches on the menu, which has been a constant source of disappointment since the restaurant moved to the former Lucia’s location about this time last year.

But they pointed at the white board listing banh mi in front of my face and I put down the menu.

Anyway, at home, the rolls seemed good, based on their resistance to the large sharp knife I cut the sandwiches with. Both my wife and daughter enjoyed this Mother’s Day treat after I picked all the hot peppers out of the packed filling.

I brought home three lemongrass chicken and three lemongrass beef banh mi and a couple of fresh-squeezed lemonades, which cost $37.38, including tax and a $5 tip. That should last for two meals.

Bottom line: Saigonese http://www.saigoneserestaurants.com/  in Wheaton has serious sandwich competition.







No comments:

Post a Comment